• Advertisement

Fuel cell venting

Race/Repair Questions

Fuel cell venting

Postby campbellcj » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 am

I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the paddock.

What is the "proper" way to vent a fuel cell, i.e. where should the vent line route and exit, and does it need a filter or valve of some kind? I need to re-do mine. The cell is a Patrick Motorsports Fuel-Safe inside a (used to be) stock tank.

Thanks,
Chris C.
1973 914 "R" | track toy - under the knife again
2000 Audi S4 6-speed | daily driver
campbellcj

Advertisement

Re: Fuel cell venting

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:01 am

I have yet to get one but I did some reading up on it since I plan to have one eventually. The vent needs a tip valve. From what I gather it is a check valve that closes when tipped so if ya turtle it shuts the valve, thus no fuel spilling out. Keep ya from going Michael Jackson on us... Then, it vents via a hose to the bottom of the car.
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby campbellcj » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks Mike. Hopefully I will have time to check into this over the weekend. Free time has gotten scarce again (it usually is around here.)

The reason for my concern is that a couple of times I have had fuel spillage/overflow after filling the cell and then driving in high-G conditions. I need to figure out why that is happening and fix it, plus re-route whatever needs to get the fuel out of the car just in case it does happen anyway. I'm fairly sure the vent exit on the cell has a check valve in it but perhaps it is not working right?

So many to-do's...next track day 30 days and counting...
Chris C.
campbellcj

Postby campbellcj » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:19 am

I finally got around to this. I think the actual vent is fine. It has a check-valve and any 'fumes' can exit from the cowl fresh air vent area (blower is gone) - there is a line routed to there from the vent. I re-routed it and tidied things up a bit.

Seems that the seepage or overflow I was getting from time-to-time when the cell is totally full, is possibly from the filler neck assembly itself. One of the little bolts was cross-threaded and not tightened down, and a few others were loose. Hopefully this was the problem. The overflow hose from the filler also looks fine.
Chris C.
campbellcj

Return to Questions/Repairs