• Advertisement

extension ramps

Tow Rig related chat

Re: extension ramps

Postby rubenpadron » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:00 am

These ramps are great - I've had them for ~5 years now and have been fantastic all along.

Randal, the height you need will be a function of the splitter height and the distance to the front wheels (relative to the ramp angle/rake)... to measure what height you need, you'd probably need to measure the lowest point of the splitter at the furthest point in front of the wheel... as long as the ramp is low enough to clear the splitter at this point, you should be fine.

Not sure if that made sense... it's been a long day! :)

Ruben
rubenpadron

Advertisement

Postby Mikelsr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Okay I give up. What is magic about the 27" point?
Mikel Matthews, Sr
1970 914-6
Mikelsr

Postby grant » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:33 am

You guys are high tech. I just use big long ramps with a couple pieces of 3 ft 2x12.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm

LOL! I took hand saw and cut two pieces from wood that I had in a pile in my yard. 0 cost. and I just throw them on the ramp. Been doing it safely for years. Its also amazing how many other uses I have had for those pieces of wood that I carry in the bed of my PU truck. Perfect to drive low car onto to get jack under the car, use them as wheel chocks at the track, they work as jack extentions on light cars and the trailer, perfect for setting VW type 1 or 4 motor on the ground while doing engine swap (did that at Hoopa!), also great for using to jack motor or tranny out and into the car! I dont go anywhere now without packing my two 2x12 pieces of wood.

Guess I spent too much time in the pits with grass roots Porsche race teams of the Seventies as a kid and picked up bad habits! LOL!
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Return to Tow Rigs