trailer stuff

Tow Rig related chat

Re: trailer stuff

Postby dant » Thu May 26, 2011 7:00 pm

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... jacks/4511

Randal if you wire it correctly it should be able to be powered off your 7 pin Bargman plug on the back of your truck.
Just leave the trailer plugged into the trailer to power the jack.
Slow in, Fast out!
1970 Bug with 1679cc
dant

Postby campbellcj » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm

I use the jacking approach with my rig although mine is human-powered. It decreases the angle of attack i.e. the ramps aren't as steep an incline. Putting a wood block (brick, etc) under the base of the jack lets it go a few inches higher. I leave the trailer attached and let it raise the back of the truck along with the trailer -- not sure you'd want to load the trailer while disconnected from the hitch. I doubt the jacks are made to hold that kind of load.
Chris C.
1973 914 "R" | track toy - under the knife again
2000 Audi S4 6-speed | daily driver
campbellcj

Postby dant » Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Randal, the electric jack that I have on my RV is almost 11 years old one and I have to use it every time to raise the rear of my truck with trailer attached for installing my weight equalizing bars.... And the tongue weigt of the trailer alone is over 1,000 pounds plus the weight of the rear of the truck....you will want to leave the trailer attached to the truck while loading or unloading!
If you are concerned about current draw just install one 12v deep cycle battery on the trailer tongue and hook it into the your 7 pin plug....
That way you trickle charge the battery every time you tow and the current draw will come from the trailer battery. You can then use some very large gauge (small number) wire directly fro the battery to the tongue jack.
Slow in, Fast out!
1970 Bug with 1679cc
dant

Postby grant » Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah I thought about going electric jack route but I just carry a spare racing jack and with 3 pumps the trailer is lifted to proper hieght. My splitter clears no issue but I have crazy long and heavy ramps.

I want to lower my trailer and get shorter aluminum ramps before I blow a gut.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby AutoMonster » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Randal how did you approach the problem? Have you worked out things already? Just asking. Thanks.
AutoMonster

Return to Tow Rigs