• Advertisement

What are you doing your towing with?

Tow Rig related chat

Re: What are you doing your towing with?

Postby campbellcj » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Mike, is it a V6 or V8 Tacoma? (Not sure if they even offer a V8). We've always been Toyota fans although I am considering Ford as I would like to buy domestic if it makes sense economically. I have a life-long aversion to GM since my first car was a Vega and it scarred me permanently, LOL. I do drive modest hills to Willow Springs and Buttonwillow but nothing that should be too stressful. My trailer has electric brakes (whether they work right or not is a different story). I need something that can easily and comfortably haul farther, i.e., Vegas or Laguna etc. if I start venturing to those farther away venues.
Chris C.
1973 914 "R" | track toy - under the knife again
2000 Audi S4 6-speed | daily driver
campbellcj

Advertisement

Postby mikey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:32 pm

This will surprise you as it did me. My Tacoma is a 4 cylinder model with the 5 speed, manual overdrive, automatic transmission. Turn off the overdrive and off you go. It's truly amazing that this little truck does so well.
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby campbellcj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 am

I started poking around the web today, first looking at F150's and then Tacoma's. The Tacoma is more appealing to me esp. the 4-door cab V6 model with tow package. I may end up spending more than I planned initially but then I would have a vehicle I suspect I'd use much more than just for tow duty. My daily driver Audi has over 150K miles now and has some 'issues' popping up so that is factoring into my thinking here...
Chris C.
campbellcj

Postby maitaiken » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:13 am

Chris I have a 08' Tacoma extended cab, V6, tow and sport packages. It's got plenty of power and decent economy. I had a 44 mile round trip commute before I retired and drove it every day.
Ken...
"sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield"
maitaiken

Postby campbellcj » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:49 am

Well, I thought about this a bit more and decided to go with a serendipitous opportunity that sprung up around the corner from me. The Tacoma is a really nice truck esp. the newer SR5 and TRD models but a tad smaller than ideal for me, plus the late-model ones I saw were more money than I prefer to spend on this. Then I noticed a recently retired guy in my neighborhood has a 2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4L with shell, bed liner, tow package, original owner, dealer-serviced, and priced below blue book. It seems ideal for my current needs and is cheap and "used" enough that I won't have to worry about thrashing it. It's black which is not my favorite color for most vehicles, but I can live with that. It should have no problem towing a modest enclosed trailer if I ever go that route which I suspect may have been an issue for a Tacoma or other small truck.

Will probably cinch the deal tomorrow night and will post pics...if it's a go and the rain doesn't hit us then I should be at the track with it this weekend.
Chris C.
campbellcj

Postby dant » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:26 am

sounds like a good score Chris :)
you should be able to tow any open trailer and up to about 20-22' enclosed with no problems..
Slow in, Fast out!
2003 BoxsterS
dant

Postby campbellcj » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:52 am

Well here it is. A bit rough around the edges cosmetically (looks great from 10-20ft) but drives perfectly and needs nothing mechanical, as far as I can identify so far. It will need tires fairly soon, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris C.
campbellcj

Postby dant » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 am

looks like a perfect tow vehicle/pit truck...
nice bed cap to sleep in at the track too :clap:
Slow in, Fast out!
2003 BoxsterS
dant

Postby campbellcj » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks - but I won't be sleeping back there this weekend, that's for sure. 28F low forecast for Friday night/Saturday morning out at Willow Springs! In the warmer months I just might do it though.

I'm pleasantly surprised how big the back seat is - legroom seems better than our Land Crusher, although the seats aren't quite as comfy.
Chris C.
campbellcj

Postby dant » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 am

with a nice air mattress, good sleeping bag and then closing the back window/tailgate you would be surprised how warm it gets....
I used to sleep in the back of my Suburban at the track all the time...very comfortable, but then again I like to go camping.
Slow in, Fast out!
2003 BoxsterS
dant

PreviousNext

Return to Tow Rigs