• Advertisement

New rig

Tow Rig related chat

New rig

Postby J P Stein » Sun May 20, 2012 4:48 pm

My new rig is a 2005 Tacoma. It is opitioned with the TRD suspension and handles much better than my 2006, but it had a samll problem (and was therefore cheep ]:) ). Me fixem it up ....good enuff for a truck. I also got my canopy from my other truck and it too was damaged....and the wrong color. It is good that I am retired and have time for a few projects. I have few natural talents and must learn by doing. Still gotta do some color sanding/blending/buffing to finish it off, but for now the canopy is ready for top coat......we're off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J P Stein

Advertisement

Re: New rig

Postby mikey » Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Nice. I am thinking about swapping my standard cab Tacoma for a Prerunner extended cab.
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby J P Stein » Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Get one with the TRD option. My Pre-Runner felt top heavy, poorly dampened, and it wandered.....it had 23K miles on it when bought & 46K when wrecked.
The TRD pre runner rig is the cat's ass.....for a truck. It has 71K on it but is mucho better.
J P Stein

Postby mikey » Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 pm

They make a 2wd model but are tough to find. That is the one I would want. It may be out of my price range, though. I just need the extra room in the cab to hold my camera equipment for work and maybe a little extra poop in the torque department for towing. But, I need a short vehicle for parking in the city. Ah.... no win situation. I may need to rethink my strategy. Maybe a bug for commute and a new truck for towing?
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby J P Stein » Sun May 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Both of mine were 2WD with LSDs & tow packages. The latest one was $12.5 k off craiglist......my favorite place to shop for cars/trucks. The ins. co. gave me $20.8k for the red one when they totaled it. There is a wide variation in price for a given year and a huge range of mileage......and a ton of em' out there..... mostly 4WD......but computer shopping is easy. Some folks hold them dear but many just want to sell.....prices start dropping on CL after the first week's listing. I think I saved 6 bookmarks of those I was willing to look at & bought the second looker. Take your time.

Got the canopy shot. Thank God that's over.

BTW, Mike, around here 2005-2006 Tundras & Tacomas are about the same price from private parties.....PPs are the only way to fly, IMO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J P Stein on Mon May 21, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J P Stein

Postby dant » Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 am

Looking good JP!
Slow in, Fast out!
2003 BoxsterS
dant

Postby J P Stein » Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 am

Not too bad. Sand out a half dozen cooties & a couple runs and it'll be good to go. :D
J P Stein

Return to Tow Rigs