Bad Spine - recommendations: seat, etc..

Race related chat
Chris Hamilton

Re: Bad Spine - recommendations: seat, etc..

#11 Post by Chris Hamilton » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm

WhuGmiT wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Interesting idea of creating my own personalized cushions.
Is there a shop around that does that?
Of course a problem may be that since my back is already bad, creating an "imprint" of my bad back may not be helpful at all!
This is a standard process for making seats in race cars. You purchase or build a simple seat shell ( like the Kirkey seats without the covers on them ) and sit in it while someone pours two part expanding foam into a trash bag behind you. When it's done the foam has solidified and you pull the foam out of the trash bags, shave it, and then put fabric over it.

It's really fun and not terribly expensive. You can also repeat the process as many times as you want until you get the cushions that feel right. After the foam has hardened it can still be supplemented with hand cut self adhesive memory foam sections if you find you need a little more support in a specific place.

During the few minutes that the foam is setting you would need to maintain good posture. If you can't do that you can find someone approximately your height, weight, and proportions to do it. This is where you can avoid making a "bad imprint".

I don't know how you can accomplish this with a seat that has a hinge in the middle so I'm afraid I'm no help there but you could leave the reclining passengers seat in the car in order to get rear seat access even with the fixed back drivers seat.

ddunwood

#12 Post by ddunwood » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 pm

I recommend wearing a driving suit when creating the expanding foam seat mold. It gets rather warm/hot when the chemical reaction is going on. Fun though!

WhuGmiT

#13 Post by WhuGmiT » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks Chris & Dave.

Out of curiosity, is there a local shop that does this?

Reality is that it has been recommended to me by the docs and PT's to avoid fixed back seats because having the ability to change sitting positions is crucial especially on longer drives.

So.... Is there a local shop that specializes in sport and racing seats?
Someplace that has various seats to sit in and someplace that can help with fitment, ergonomics and installation?

Thanks,
-WhuGmiT
====================== =
'68 912 Coupe, AX12

mikey
Site Admin

#14 Post by mikey » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am

Honestly, that sounds like a tall order, if on a budget. You may need to just bite the bullet and go with a high quality unit. I would contact a couple of high end race shops near you and start discussing your options. I'd love to know what they say. If they know your budget they can likely recommend something, or someone to help you find what you need.
There is another racecar in my future

WhuGmiT

#15 Post by WhuGmiT » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks Mike.

So, you guys have any recommendations for race shops here in the bay area?
I'd guess that GrantK would have some thoughts on the subject. Grant?
Anyone?

Cheers,
-WhuGmiT
================== =
'68 912 Coupe, AX12