Pele Ring of Fire SCCA Solo Super Street Build

Race related chat
grant

Pele Ring of Fire SCCA Solo Super Street Build

#1 Post by grant » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 am

Ok you all knew it was coming! Couple weeks ago had to decide class build for the 911 T . I decided on SCCA Super Street for this year and AX6 with GGR PCA.

911 T is definitely underdog in SCCA running against new 500 Hp 991.2 GT3 that can fit more tire and sports wider wheels, better suspension, wings and $hit.

TPC/DSC Sport have returned as sponsors with this build. And are providing upgraded suspension management system for car. More on that later!

In talks with Sharkwerks and Soul performance on sport exhaust sponsorship. Will share options. I’m leaning towards sharkwerks new system but Soul is looking into what they can do!

Wheels and tires. As quick fix Butch at Tire rack has set me up with beautiful set of 20 inch OZ Hyper GT HLT wheels with 245/35/20 and 295/30/20 Bridgestone RE71R tires.

Will play in SS to start. I likely have a mild SSP build planned for the car. With coilovers , gt3 suspension arms, wider tires and wheels etc, but for this season SCCA SS will be focus!

Here is starting point pic.

Last edited by grant on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
2019 911 Carrera T - Pele
2015 Boxster S - Pearl

grant

Re: Pele Ring of Fire SCCA Solo Super Street Build

#2 Post by grant » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 am

Tires and Wheels:

991.2 with PCCBs and rear wheel steer poses some problems for us more hard core Autocrossers. Clearance issues if we try to downsize from 20 inch wheels to 19's that offer better tire choices. Like no A7s yet in 20 inch sizes. But a little birdie told me maybe later this year more A7 s in 20s.

PCCB upfront won’t allow 19 unless you get a few custom built wheels from Forgeline or Jongbloed. I started conversations with Ryan at Jongbloed on 19 that will fit a couple weeks ago. He thinks he has a solution for the car! And while they fit clearence is so close that pebbles can scratch calipers and rim barrels. Not huge issue but Im a big baby with this car. No badness for her just tastefull upgrades since this will stay fun street car. I have my eye out for wrecked 718 to build race car in future! ...let me know of any of you come across one.

In meantime I worked with Butch at Tire Rack on nice set of 20 inch OZ Hyper GT HLT wheels in Star graphite. Only tires I could get were 245/35/20 and 295/30/20 RE71 R. Ideally I’d be 265 and 315 but that won’t happen until 19 inch wheels are sorted out. This is a disadvantage to 991.2 GT3 as they have wider wheels and can run 19 inch wheels with at least 265 or even larger up front and at least 315 in rear. So grip isn’t going to be in my favor. I will have siqghtly shorter tire in rear which will have slight benefit in gearing. I will get scales out to see how much weight I knocked off but not much Im sure as Porsche used lighter sports forged wheels on T from S model.

I bought some cheap Porsche center caps off eBay for wheels to to give it more of OEM look! Best $20 bucks I have spent. Wow nice quality and made in Italy.

Last edited by grant on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Boxster S - Pearl

grant

#3 Post by grant » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:14 am

Suspension:

SCCA made aftermarket active suspension controllers legal in Street classes. I reached out to Tom over at DSC Sport a few weeks ago to see what they offer for 991.2 . They have set me up with DSC Sport V3 Contoller. Essentially dynamic suspension control for cars like 991.2 with PASM . Uses data collected from wheel hieght sensors and a variety of other inputs like throttle, brakes , accelerometers , etc to make instoneous adjustments to dampers. TOM made sure to load their most recent competition mapping onto controller for me test out. I likely will just go with their base tune, but I’m sure as I learn more there may be some things us AX fanatics may tune differently. Really amazing how far car tech has come.

Install is easy. Just lift up carpet in back. Pull OEM unit out of its foam cradle disconnect two connectors, plug in DSC controller. done!

Here is link to DSC. https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#991

Unit arrived safely with fedex last week. Install this weekend.

2015 Boxster S - Pearl

mikey
Site Admin

#4 Post by mikey » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am

Hey, that's very cool
There is another racecar in my future

grant

#5 Post by grant » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:18 pm

The DSC mod is so simple. Lift carpet, undo connectors on stock Pasm unit, reconnect to DSC unit , put carpet back in. 1 min mod!

Pic of OEM Pasm unit.

2015 Boxster S - Pearl

mikey
Site Admin

#6 Post by mikey » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:27 pm

I love it when mods are done right. This seems like a super easy active suspension controller swap. Can't beat that!!!
There is another racecar in my future

grant

#7 Post by grant » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:54 pm

Here is lightweight exhaust system from Sharkwerks

...very tame sounding but grabs more HP and shakes off 12 lbs.

https://youtu.be/ZcVQ6pVtAzo
2015 Boxster S - Pearl

dant

#8 Post by dant » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 am

Looking good as usual Grant!
Slow in, Fast out!
1970 Bug with 1679cc

grant

#9 Post by grant » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 am

I still have a good sense of humor as I know its unlikely a 911 T even optimized for SS will be competitive with GT3 or even GT4 who dominate that class in SCCA. Im way down on power to GT3 and don't have any weight advantage or mid engine of GT4 and Im on skinnier rubber. But I don't think car will be embarrassingly slow either. I'll be able to pick off slower drivers just not faster guys like Monty and others who run SS at National level.

I just love this car as its something that isn't too crazy for street but is capable and gives race car like experience when driven fast. Doesn't feel much different from my crazy Cayman race car in overall experience from drivers seat. ...Yes ....does it all slower but dynamics are so close to race car that I can drive car to its limit very easily which results in quick times but more important to me experience is like driving a race car. It does what I want without compromising. Isnt that what Porsche is all about? Drive car to competition have race car experience ...drive back! Reminds me of 70s when my dad and I would drive to Track in his Porsche, throw on good year slicks stored in rear trunk with bungee cord and stinger exhaust race, Then put street tires back on and drive home.
Last edited by grant on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Boxster S - Pearl

grant

#10 Post by grant » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 am

OK Sharkwerks muffler ordered! Alex over at Sharkwerks excited to make this for the T.
2015 Boxster S - Pearl