Zone AX at Marina

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

Zone AX at Marina

Postby grant » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Wow great day Saturday! Great to see all fast old Porsches out! Andrew was on fire yesterday and 222 was working best I have seen ever. Man that car just rotates so well with Andrew at helm. His style is so fun to watch. Mikes car gets best sound track award. That motor sound could be from a 70s era lemans movie! Wish my Turbo Cayman was ready for that course would have been fun! My race car should be ready by May.

I missed driving its been almost 6 months since I have driven an AX and I was in a 4 door 4000 lb beast that I had no idea how to drive but dang it was fun learning that car! With some real tires RE71, proper alignment and maybe some stiffer springs the big KIA could be fairly quick! Oh I picked up a piggy back chip that boosts power to 500 hp and 503 ft lbs of torque on pump gas - install next week. Yikes! Tranny rated for 550 ft lbs so should be ok. Toughest thing Saturday was figuring out what mode to use. Sport mode check. Manual or auto? ...not sure as car would auto shift in manual and when I tried shifting and stability control was on shifts took forever. But then turn off stability and traction and car was fast and furious drifter. was hard to modulate power so exit had rear hung out every turn - very fun but not too fast! I settled on stability on but traction off as stability would trim power . Other issue is in manual I couldn't reach stubby little paddle shifters so almost impossible to do shifts if wheel wasn't straight. they do make after market extensions. Still amazed at how quickly that big car went through slaloms. I was like uh oh going too fast and then car would just tuck into turns. Not much understeer at all which surprised me with those skinny 225 fronts. Can tell lotus guy tuned Stingers suspension - car just dances which is kinda crazy for something so big. Also learned were not afraid to make it tail happy! With stability off rear just hops out and when I got into marbles it really swung around hard into a fun 360! Got into 50 second range by end of the day. With a little more time think it could have been going for high 48.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Re: Zone AX at Marina

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 pm

It was a super fun day. Getting back to autocrossing after a 2 year break is very interesting. I had to take Larry out with me to figure out I was a rookie again. I was doing everything wrong. But, by the end of day one I was able to creep into third place overall so I couldn't ask for a better day. Andrew definitely is one with his car and was smokin' fast. Dave and his car are ripping fast too so it will take some work to catch up. This was the shakedown event for my new build. It didn't fall completely apart so I am very happy about that. There were some small issues to deal with and the breather catch can isn't working g properly so I had to stop at midday on Sunday. At that point I was in third place again but creeping closer to the fast boys. The course was warmer and faster so I suspect they widened the gap in the afternoon. The new engine build is nice. I thing as I sort this car out it will be faster and maybe I can play with the big boys. The car is nearly 600 pounds heavier on course than what I am used to driving so it will take some time to learn how to get that much more weight around the turns quickly and I'll have to somehow pedal much faster to keep this boat in the top 5. Overall, I am very happy with the performance and I just love seeing everyone out there.

Oh, and Grant... Your dog is SOOOOOOOO cute!!!! And, I love seeing Shiela out there. She is such a lovely person. How did she end up stuck with you??? Ha ha ha
I addressed the issues you had mentioned and they were no longer happening on day two. Thanks!!! I appreciate the feedback.

PSX_20180423_100735.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 pm

mikey wrote:Oh, and Grant... Your dog is SOOOOOOOO cute!!!! And, I love seeing Shiela out there. She is such a lovely person. How did she end up stuck with you??? Ha ha ha
I addressed the issues you had mentioned and they were no longer happening on day two. Thanks!!! I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah Kona is a cutie! We really lucked out! ....Funny! My mother in law and our close friends always ask me how I got stuck with Sheilah! Glad you figured out the suspension!
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby ddunwood » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:35 am

Good times playing with everyone last weekend!
Results from LPR on Saturday are up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqwkupsbfbt5nsw/2018%20LPR%20AX2.xlsx?dl=0
ddunwood

Postby grant » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Dang Andrew was flying! I still cant believe my big fat 4 door car ran as quickly as it did.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Return to Paddock area