My new project

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

Re: My new project

Postby Bill C » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 pm

mikey wrote:Wow, I missed this. How cool. Can't wait to see it. I have been looking at a different project too, even though I have yet to finish my current 914 project.

What mods are you doing?

The only mods allowed are to bolt on the suspension components specified in the rules, buy the specified wheels and tires, and align and tune with those parts. Oh yeah, you can play with the mufflers a little too.

I got to drive it last Sunday and it was a lot of fun. I was a little disappointed inthat it plowed very badly in the sweepers. I hope I can tune that out. But, I got home after dark and just drove it into the garage and closed the door. No unloading from the trailer and putting the trailer away, so that was great! The prices are pretty reasonable. The suspension kit was about $1700. The wheels I bought were about $560 and the tires delivered to my door were about $450. The tires look like they're going to need to be cooled down between runs. So far I'm pretty happy with it. :D
Bill C

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Awesome. This was at Crows?
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:44 pm

how much can you play with alignment? More toe out up front? More front neg camber ? Surprising to hear this car pushes. Also Falkens are really weird tires to find sweet spot.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby Bill C » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 am

mikey wrote:Awesome. This was at Crows?

Yeah, this was the first SCCA event of the year at Crows. We were the first run group after lunch. There were about 7 or 8 cars in the two-driver line and 3 cars in each of the two single driver lanes. We barely had time to switch drivers and change car numbers before we had to run again. Plus we each got one re-run so the tires were good and warm for our last runs. I've got to get used to shifting more for this car. The car has a rev limiter, but it does'n like to let you ride the limit. It will just shut down for a few seconds and the more you do it the lower the rev limit goes! I've got to say that compare to the 914 the gearbox is fantastic!!! So the shifting isn't that big of a deal.

Yes Grant, they've made provisions for adjusting the camber front and rear. The front is limited to about 3* Neg, and the rear looks unlimited. I ran with about 2* Neg on Sunday and just finished pushing it to about 3* Neg this afternoon. We have single adjustable Koni shocks that I started at full soft and actually found time to adjust them to about 1/2 hard which felt a little better. I was surprised to have it push so badly and just finished watching some videos posted by a faster car and he was pushing too! Everything I had heard about the car was that they were great fun to drive. The sway bars have two holes for adjustment. I ran Sunday with them both set at firm. I just set the front to soft today. I'm hoping the additional camber and softer front bar setting will get the car to turning. I'll let you know next time out.
Bill C

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:46 am

Who are you partnered up with?
mikey
Site Admin

Postby Bill C » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 pm

mikey wrote:Who are you partnered up with?

I invited buggy Greg to come out for the day. He may partner up with Gary if they both like the car. The tires seem to be so sensitive to temp that the idea of having a tire warmer goes out the window.
Bill C

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Cool. Sounds like a very fun day
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:47 am

Bill C wrote:
mikey wrote:Who are you partnered up with?

I invited buggy Greg to come out for the day. He may partner up with Gary if they both like the car. The tires seem to be so sensitive to temp that the idea of having a tire warmer goes out the window.

Oh yeah Falkens get warm and gummy pretty quick. Good marina tire. Soft sidewalls are always a challenge in determining best pressures.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:54 am

I remember running them on my red 914. They got greasy at Alameda with the long courses. But, to be honest, it didn't matter much for me since I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. ha ha ha
mikey
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Paddock area