• Advertisement

Phase 3 - Now for power

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

Phase 3 - Now for power

Postby grant » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 pm

OK so time to work on power. Working on custom TPC turbo kit. quick spooling ball bearing turbo, catless headers, tuned to race gas. Should make some very good low to mid range boost. Little different setup than they sell for road cars. That will crank things up a notch next year. If Im going to go on hunt for National level XP cars power will be a big factor. Turbo should make the car insanely fun to drive. It will make about same power as my old supercharged Z but be 750 lbs lighter. Funny thing is rear corners of the Cayman will be close to what Z had .
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Advertisement

Re: Phase 3 - Now for power

Postby grant » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm

This tpc stage 2 kit with upgraded quick spooling ceramic bearing turbo and "out of the box" cobb tune is pretty impressive. 370 ft lbs of torque and 452 Hp at wheels. About 120 ft lbs of torque more than stock 3.4 at about 3000 rpm. Starts making more torque than stock at 2400 rpm with nice steady ramp up to peak around 4500 rpm. Nice hp and torque progression all the way to 7200 rpm. Makes power sooner and more of it than my old 370 Z supercharged car. 370 Z weighed 2850 when it was supercharged and was a rocket. Turbo 2000 lb Cayman with even more power down low should be scary as hell to drive! LOL! ...will likely take me half the season to figure out how to drive it too.

Brad knows how to tune these kits to crazy power levels but Im probably going to take it easy on my poor stock internals motor. Maybe more boost and torque in future if I decide to pull motor and beef it up a little.

Other thing I like about turbo is its comes with a street muffler. Car will be quiet again. :whistle:
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby Randal » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 pm

What's not to like, i.e., light weight and huge power that handles. Cool.
Randal
AMAC DSR
Randal

Postby grant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Randal wrote:What's not to like, i.e., light weight and huge power that handles. Cool.

Yeah and 987.2 cayman S is such a great base platform for race car. GT3 race suspension just bolts in. Granted rear suspension is not as nice as modern 911s but at 2000 lbs that's less of a factor. 9a1 motor they put in the car is same motor they use to turbocharge so it's well built unlike cv cfolder gen m96 and M97 motors .

Makes me laugh when people initially said Cayman couldn't go below 2000 lbs. I haven't even torn into his car aggressively yet and it is at 2000 lbs. I'm pretty sure I could go to 1900. Maybe even lower This winter i will go after more weight reduction too. I will install lexan windscreen specifically made for my car in UK by guys who supply windscreens to hillclimbers. My car still has mostly complete dash , ventilation systems, heater, blower, etc. All fiberglass on car now are Street replicas not skins. Front trunk is still stock. Fuel tank is stock. I have not pulled all wiring. I laugh as car is still registered for the street. I could plug headlights and wipers back in and drive the car on street . Engine right now is stock and would pass smog if I put cats back on. Lol! My ride height isn't crazy and I can drive into my trailer with splitter on the car. Was thinking it would be fun to drive to an event .
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 am

Screw driving to the events. Pull all that weight out of the car. You can probably shed 200 pounds in total. That would be wicked.
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 am

mikey wrote:Screw driving to the events. Pull all that weight out of the car. You can probably shed 200 pounds in total. That would be wicked.

Yeah thats the plan! But its still impressive how capable modern Porsches are from factory. Think about all we had to do to older 911s and 914's, reinforcements, relocate suspension points etc. Motors had to be rebuilt to get power, transmissions reinforced, CV's upgraded, With modern Cayman its pretty much pull stuff off then bolt on race suspension, install LSD, bolt stuff on to stock motor and go have fun. I just say thing about street as car is very agreeable to drive on the road. Pretty much rides like a street car, engine idles just like stock, ride height isnt crazy,

There was a 3.8 supercharged 987 Cayman S built in UK that weighed 1900 lbs with full cage so I really think I can get this car to 1800 eventually but Id have to ditch my big ceramic brakes and get something that allowed 16 inch wheels under the car. Weight loss just from 16 inch wheels and tires is like 50 plus lbs. Id likely have to go that route once car heads under 2000 lbs to get right tire compound for AX. Car would likely be too light to use big 18's although think I found soft Avon that might work. I was having heck of a time last event getting big A7s warm. But man when tires get warm the car is wicked . I am putting passenger seat back next season.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:22 am

SUPERCOOL. I'm looking forward to a ride
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby Randal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm

"But man when tires get warm the car is wicked." OK that is happening with A7's right?
Randal
AMAC DSR
Randal

Postby grant » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 am

Randal wrote:"But man when tires get warm the car is wicked." OK that is happening with A7's right?

Yes big A7s. Only really have issues when temps drop below 60 degrees. Car actually generates too much heat on longer courses when warm. Grip with big 335 rear and 295 front is awesome.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 am

Kit is in process of being built. Should be ready early December.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Next

Return to Paddock area