• Advertisement

AX in new Honda with all hard season tires

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

AX in new Honda with all hard season tires

Postby grant » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Wow! That was cool. Went cold turkey from Cayman race car on A7s into fwd Honda Civic on 560 treadwear all season Good Years. Talking about major driving adjustments! Had to line everything up perfectly or Civic went into terminal understeer. I don't think I have had tires that howl around entire ax course ever. Lol! The tires are funny as they do real well dynamically at high speeds but slower stuff they just don't have grip and the noise they make is impressive! Completely different feel on street even when driving quickly. This was first chance to push them to limit. Funniest thing is they still look new after sliding around! Guess the positive is that they do have 50000 mile tread wear guarantee!

The Honda in slaloms was awesome given "no grip" tires ....and high speed turns car feels better dynamically than my Porsche. Brakes are awesome! It's 90 to 180 degree slow turns that big Civic sedan suffers, but I can cure that with decent ax tires and bigger 20 mm rear sway bar ($160 online). The car doesn't need much more than that however stock tune sucks as it has boost delay at every shift and it's fairly conservative on low end boost. So out of some sections felt like eternity befor was back on boost. I did pickup $600 tune kit that lets me flash CARB legal tunes that let me eliminate the boost lag and jumps mid range torque by 40 ft/lbs and gain 30 hp. Very cool as it only mods sport tune button with tune so can drive with stock tune on street and hit sport tune at fun ax events. Holds 2 tunes so I can easily revert to stock tune for SCCA Street class too.

It's no Subaru BRZ in handling department but for a comfortable 4 seat sedan with huge trunk it's tons of fun. Out of 45 cars I have owned over past 35 years this is one of my favorites. I am thinking I might upgrade to Civic type R once prices drop. In meantime this is a very fun balanced fun fwd sedan that with couple of tweaks will be fairly quick in AX.

My dodge SUV tow vehicle will be fixed next week ( bad fuel pump) so hopefully will get back in Cayman next PCA event!
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Advertisement

Re: AX in new Honda with all hard season tires

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:55 am

Not a bad looking car
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:38 am

mikey wrote:Not a bad looking car

Yeah it scratches my Japanese sports car itch. I have always had Nissans, hondas or Mazdas as part of my stable. I just love this car. Already threw a tune on car. Makes about 230 hp now. Just needs some decent tires - trying to decide re71 or Michelins although found falken 615k + for $120 each. 20 mm rear sway bar on the way. That should do it.

Honda engineers have cracked the code on how to get fwd car to turn while power is on. Weirdest thing as I turn and apply throttle it turns even harder. Got to love it.

2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:45 am

And I like the aggressive front end too
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby Chris Hamilton » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:48 pm

I'd definitely go 615k, the 71R are really noisy at certain speeds on the street.
Chris Hamilton

Postby grant » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Chris Hamilton wrote:I'd definitely go 615k, the 71R are really noisy at certain speeds on the street.

Thanks Chris. I read about how noises they can be. I may just go with nice soft summer Michelin or Conti . Something that works on street but won't be too badly embarrassed if I decide to drag Honda out to an ax. Sometimes it's nice to just drive to local event .
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:08 pm

Decided to go with falken RT 615K + . About $145 a tire with free shipping. Looks to be a more forgivinG and quieter tire than Re71. ....And way cheaper. Should give car insane grip compared to good year all seasons. The all seasons on the car are really strange. They are quite good on the street in fast turns and when braking. Grip they generate when moving fast is decent. They quickly turn awful when pushed over limit on slower turns likemin ax. Running it at marina was strange. Car was decent in fast sections but slow sections were real slow due to no grip.

This car is a large pocket rocket now. Tune eliminated turbo lag, it has flat shift capability that is crazy fun, motor makes all its power between 3500 and about 5500 rpm like a typical turbo 4. Its fastest when I short shift and stay on boost. Funniest thing is it goes slower if I red line shifts as power and torque fall off a cliff at about 5500. For size of car sometimes it's hard to believe it only has a 1.5 liter motor. Feels more like a typical 2 liter turbo. ...at least when it's on boost that is.

20 mm Rear swaybar arrives today.

So for about $1000 think this car will be transformed . Unlike some of my other fun cars can't see anything else needing to be done. Of course it's sprung and dampened too soft for my taste but for stock car it's surprisingly firm. Way less body roll than my past Mini or my Miata. Civic Si also sits at a nice ride height compared,to those cars so not compelled to put sport springs on the car. Honda just nailed so many things with this civic. Stock 18x8'wheels are attractive and fairly lightweight so no need to upgrade wheels. Still very impressed with how much car they put into $23k package.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Return to Paddock area