• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who made LPR AX a another fun event

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

Thanks to everyone who made LPR AX a another fun event

Postby grant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:19 am

Great to finally get out to an LPR event! Fun course today. My car is coming together finally however it's still prone to snap oversteer and think I may need to dial in some negative toe in rear. Car is still very touchy. As I was trying to ramp up speed the car would not take set well. I really couldn't peg throttle out of turns. But car feels great! At 2350 lbs it's actually pretty fast now.

Mikes highly modified "street legal" 914 race car looks great! Man that thing is low! And it sticks! Big 2.3 liter Motor seems very healthy and he was beating many newer cars in the drag race start to first set of cones today. Didn't catch his times as it was too windy to hear out on the course but he was in the fight for TTOD I'm sure.

Great to see Gary back in buggy too! He was hauling butt! His old Avons were not sticking too well though.

Thanks again to all the made event happen! Fun time!
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Advertisement

Re: Thanks to everyone who made LPR AX a another fun event

Postby grant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 pm

2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 am

Great photo of a couple of great guys. Love seeing Gary. Grant, your car is getting wicked fast. Thanks for the compliments on my car but highly modified is a bit of a stretch. All it really has is some fiberglass bits and drilled stock parts to make it 5 lug. The 2.3 is small jug, big crank. So, not really a monster but it does scoot pretty good. I was surprised. Problem is, it twists and unloads on exit so it is tough to keep a hold of. I need to change my rear toe setup to stabilize it some. Overall, not bad for a car that has little to no sorting. So far I have only adjusted the sway bar once. Time to dial things in. I'd be surprised if I was in the top 5 but I hope it can get there in the future. I don't want to do much more to this car than the 2.7 -6 in the winter. I'm done chasing TTOD.

Thanks to all who put together the events. Looking forward to the next one
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 pm

mikey wrote: but highly modified is a bit of a stretch. All it really has is some fiberglass bits

LOL! Just like a buggy is just a Volkswagen with fiberglass parts.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Yup. Ha ha ha
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:03 pm

If you think about that "street" 914 isn't too far off from a Race buggy. Bigger torsions, bigger sway bars, spindles modded to lower car and keep geometry, upgraded shocks, hard mount shock bushings, upgraded brake rotors, upgraded bigger brake calipers, stainless steel brake lines, bigger master cylinder, race built and stroked big displacement air cooled motor, race headers, race muffler, rear heat shield removed, upgraded cooling, racing sump, lightweight fly wheel, big webers carbs , cams, bigger valves, fat light weight race wheels, lightweight fiberglass pinned rear trunk, stock insulation pulled, lightweight pinned front hood, modified fuel system, fiberglass bumpers, big fiberglass fender flares, Fat Autocross compound racing slicks, lsd, upgraded CV joints, upgraded suspension bushings , light weight battery, upgraded transmission mounts, splitter in front, big spoiler in back, roll bar. Lots of work there for sure! ....Except the 914 has much more modern suspension , steering, transmission, chassis, and brakes than a buggy oh and it's mid engined. I'm loving fact you kept stockish interior in the car to run improved! Brilliant! :clap:

Heck my "modified class" race car in PCA is less modified than that "improved class" street car. I still have stock internals motor as it came from factory, stock oiling, stock fuel injection, stock fuel tank and fueling system, stock cooling, stock brakes, stock Cv joints, stock bushings in rear suspension, stock hubs, stock suspension mounting points, stock front hood with hood dampers, stock width rear wheels, stock fenders, gosh even stock heat shields are still there, heck I even have a working stock heater! If I glue some headliner back in can I run improved class too? :lol1:
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:33 pm

A bunch of stuff on that list doesn't apply to me but they are great ideas. Like I said, just a few fiberglass bits and spring rates. I moved out of the class I was in so I wouldn't get in the way of folks that were interested in competition. There is nobody in my class now. I'm done being competitive. I had my days and now I'm helping to mentor a new kid. You don't have to worry about me catching up. You'll have enough trouble when Ed brings The Pumpkin.

Get some carpet in that bitch of yours and run improved. Its all the rage. Ha ha ha
mikey
Site Admin

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 am

COOL!!!! Thanks, Dave
mikey
Site Admin

Postby ddunwood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 am

Did Mike say he's not competitive? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rollingred: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rollingyellow: :laughing-rollingred: :laughing-rolling:
ddunwood

Next

Return to Paddock area