• Advertisement

And so it begins

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

Re: And so it begins

Postby grant » Tue May 30, 2017 7:12 pm

mikey wrote:Hahaha. It would be a miracle if it had more than 45 pounds of interior. Headers? The headers work great. ;)
Yeah its insane how much interior they stuff into newer cars compared to minimalist 914 interior. I stop keeping track after I pulled 250 lbs of OEM interior out of the Cayman and I still have another 30 to 40 lbs of Dash and ventilation system to come out. Gosh I could glue carpet down in my Cayman race car and Id still have more interior material than an OEM 914 interior.

What are you doing to keep car from flexing since you are using fat A7's and no cage? Weld in reinforcement panels? I like the street legal 914 AX car approach just that when you start pushing these cars at heavier weights with sticky tires without reinforcement from cage etc they do funky things . What are you at weight wise? 1850 lbs? My 1.8 with similar setup was around there and when I was using A6's it started to flex on me.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Advertisement

Postby mikey » Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Yea, this thing bends and twists so bad it is kinda ridiculous. I am thinking about bolting in door bars to see if that helps. It feels so different than my last car that I need to relearn how to drive, maybe using the spring rate of the chassis. If I do some learning and experiments with bars here and there to help with certain flex points I might be able to whittle away at the gap between me and Dave/Bill. I do have a little reinforcement out back already but none from front to back so I need to look into that. The cage wasn't doing much since it was just a bolt-in with nothing else going for it except weight. I'm afraid to start down a road that leads to lots of cutting and welding. I need to be satisfied with just playing with a street car. Uhhhgggg.
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Tue May 30, 2017 8:42 pm

mikey wrote:Yea, this thing bends and twists so bad it is kinda ridiculous. I am thinking about bolting in door bars to see if that helps. It feels so different than my last car that I need to relearn how to drive, maybe using the spring rate of the chassis. If I do some learning and experiments with bars here and there to help with certain flex points I might be able to whittle away at the gap between me and Dave/Bill. I do have a little reinforcement out back already but none from front to back so I need to look into that. The cage wasn't doing much since it was just a bolt-in with nothing else going for it except weight. I'm afraid to start down a road that leads to lots of cutting and welding. I need to be satisfied with just playing with a street car. Uhhhgggg.

That tub reinforcement kit is nice and keeps cage out of the car. Forget who made that? Think Trek put one in his car. I cant remember if stock carpet fits over it? You could probably do some strategically welded bars up front that wouldn't hurt streetability. Keep an eye on strut tops too as they can start to crack if not reinforced with heavier car.

Thing I have always said about 914's if you get them under about 1700 they overcome some inherent weakness in chassis and suspension. When they go over that weight with slicks something has to give. So as you know chore is to shore up all those weak points. Nice thing about the 4 is that you at least aren't twisting back end of the car with power as much as a 6. And with 4 you tend to drive more carefully to maintain momentum which usually equates to smoother and less forces on rear suspension.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Tue May 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Yea, I plan to do what Porsche did with the GT cars in the front trunk area, same as my other car. Makes a HUGE difference. The chassis kit makes a difference but not enough for the effort, in my opinion. I'm thinking of doing what Pete told me to do long ago and add some carbon triangulation in a couple of strategic spots.

The car is pretty light already :wasntme:
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed May 31, 2017 12:34 am

mikey wrote:Yea, I plan to do what Porsche did with the GT cars in the front trunk area, same as my other car. Makes a HUGE difference. The chassis kit makes a difference but not enough for the effort, in my opinion. I'm thinking of doing what Pete told me to do long ago and add some carbon triangulation in a couple of strategic spots.

The car is pretty light already :wasntme:

I like the CF idea. I have been looking at that with the Cayman in a few areas.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Getting there
TheBananaBoat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikey
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Paddock area