• Advertisement

9A1 Cayman SCCA Solo FP car

Race related chat
Forum rules
Have fun and play nice.

Re: 9A1 Cayman SCCA Solo FP car

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Sub 2k would be wicked. I'd LOVE to take a spin in that bad boy!!!
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Advertisement

Postby grant » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 am

mikey wrote:Sub 2k would be wicked. I'd LOVE to take a spin in that bad boy!!!

You are welcome to take it for a whirl at an event . It's going to be a whole new car next AX and it was getting fast prior to this round of extensive mods. It's 100 lbs lighter, makes more hp, full aero and puts down tons more rubber. Suspension all monoball now too! And finally got proper endlinks that help with turn in.

I know I'm not first to break 2000 lb barrier with these cars. I know of narrow body Hillclimb car in England with all composite body panels that hit 1900 lbs and that car had sequential trans. ....maybe I'm first wide body with stock 6 speed to try to go under 2000 lbs. fun thing is that I have pulled 90% of parts off myself and know where weigh hides .

Next phase after this one to go under 2000 lbs. still have dash to remove and replace with composite dash, lightweight custom made lexan window is being made in U.K. And will be here next month, lightweight steering column to replace Heavy OEM column, ditching engine compartment fan, getting lightweight fans for radiators, titanium lugs and nuts, lightweight carbon fiber seat as opposed to heavy fiberglass Recaro , cut out supports in front hood, cut interior of doors out, cut interior of hatch , pull all unused brackets, make taillight facsimiles, go from 24 lb dry cell battery to 9 lb lithium, small fuel cell to replace OEM fuel tank. Pull unused bits of wiring harness. Convert to electric power steering pump. That should do it.

.....but could go crazy and get Getty composite fenders, rear quarters and roof, convert to lighter 5 speed or a sequential trans, replace steel floors with composites ..then would be headed to sub 1900.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm

2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks, that sounds like a blast.
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:35 am

Wow! Car is so much better! Unlearning how I drove car . Turn in and grip soooo much better! I was either underdriving or over driving today. But overall car is ions better. Still lacks torque in slow stuff but OMG grip of rear tires on turns is freaking amazing! Had some very cool controlled drifts today. Turn in is perfect thanks to Brad! He is magic with these cars!

Still trailing Fast GT3 guys (Steve and Monty ) by a little under a second . Think I was close to fast 914s though ? Didn't get their times. With little more seat time this car will be dangerous.

I had little front tire rubbing on radiator bracket bolts but not terrible . Aside from that all fixes are with but behind the wheel.

Fun day at GGR event
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:34 am

So get this new 991.2 3.0 turbo runs off my ECU. Have offer on one from wreck. Plan would be to put big injectors on and tune on E85. Can you say GT3 slayer?
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 am

I don't think speed is a problem with it's current config. I would just hold off and get enough seat time to get a hold of the car as-is
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 am

mikey wrote:I don't think speed is a problem with it's current config. I would just hold off and get enough seat time to get a hold of the car as-is

Lol! All seat time in world won't make difference in hillclimb against 600 hp cars. Car is quick but it will lose uphill drag race with 600 hp Vettes and Evos with lesser drivers every single time. Also in XP my car is one of worst power to weight cars by far as 3.4 NA is penalized compared to smaller forced induction cars that make 500 hp. I'm catching up with car in ax quickly as it sits so don't think I need seat time as much as I need good punch of torque at 3500 rpm off slow turns. Coming out of a 500 hp 370z that grabbed a couple ttod can say any power sections in Cayman feels like an eternity compared to the Z.

I did grab my first ttod last weekend and beat fast c mod car driven by national driver. But car could stand to gain even more HP as I know how to use power especially with as much tire as I have now !
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:33 am

Hmmmmmmm..... I guess we'll see
mikey
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:18 am

New lightweight lexan windshield arrived from U.K. Last week. That will be next project.

Turbo on hold as I blew my race car budget on electric power assisted fat tire mountain bike. It will take over from Honda trail 70 replica as my ew eco- conscious pit bike. Lol!
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

PreviousNext

Return to Paddock area