Postby mikey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:15 am

:dance:
There is another racecar in my future
mikey
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: 9A1 Cayman SCCA Solo FP car

Postby grant » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm

My new lightweight exhaust system arrives Friday. Loses another 10 lbs. I just need to pull AC compressor and put all new pulleys on motor. Will likely do wider wheels and fenders next month. Talking to Brian about complete dash delete with just an instrument pod and a switch panel. Looking at electric power steering pump up front now too. Im going XP class with this car. Figure its no fun staying in FP and I want to make one of the lightest Caymans in US. I can see how to get to 2200 lbs pretty easily within my skillset . I could go lower into 2000 range but that would take $$$$. Im having a blast with this build. By end of this season car should be scooting. Now just need to find a fast driver to co drive with me.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:52 am

New lightweight mufflers finished being fabricated. These will drop 10 more lbs off the back.

2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby grant » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm

OK weight down to 2300 now! Talking to Brad about how another Cayman did carbon fiber floor panels as I head to 2000 lb target now. Picking up my 18x12 and 18x11 Jongbloed racing wheels Friday - fat 335 and 315 A7s all ready to mount . Will run those for a while and then decide on Avon slicks . Getting ready to test fit and start the cutting for fenders after I get back from vacation in June. Next will rip out dash, pull AC compressor and remaining lines, install under drive pulleys, put in electric power steering pump, install new sexy ERP suspension arms, turn hood and hatch into skins and pin them and even more. Picked up some exhaust turn downs to help direct sound into ground in hopes that I wont need more mufflerage at Nationals. Maybe a couple titanium shorties hung off tailpipes for local or maybe just use my quiet but powerful sport mufflers . Overall car isn't terribly loud but it does hit 98 to 100 db when Im at full go pedal above 6000 rpm on a still day at 50 feet. SCCA put sound meter right at finish where I was full tilt headed to redline and I got the just under sound limit warning.

For you that have driven lighter cars you know when car crosses that magical weight barrier where you can course change mid turn. Well the car does that now. I was getting feel for the new setup at Tour. Was totally under driving the car in some places and over driving in others. But on my last run of the weekend after I screwed up I just let freak flag fly and hung car out and its opened up a whole new world of understanding how is car works.

This car is turning into a monster - it actually feels fast and even sort of scary. But nothing compares in scary to the 500 hp 370Z. Elsa doesn't seem to be appropriate name for this beast any more. I'm thinking Brutus or DONF (destroyer of nine fourteens) :lol1:
Last edited by grant on Thu May 11, 2017 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby krote6 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 pm

With sites always in danger of being lost. I really really think every autocrosser should be "good Neighbors" to the surrounding areas. and make their cars not soo loud. There are many ways to make quiet horsepower. What is ok at Crows will not be ok at places like Marina, Stockton and Alameda.
krote6

Postby grant » Thu May 11, 2017 2:58 am

krote6 wrote:With sites always in danger of being lost. I really really think every autocrosser should be "good Neighbors" to the surrounding areas. and make their cars not soo loud. There are many ways to make quiet horsepower. What is ok at Crows will not be ok at places like Marina, Stockton and Alameda.

Totally agree Larry . I think you as PCA rep should write Porsche NA as new 718 S and GT3s are breaking sound regs in stock trim at local tracks Would think Porsche would have figured that quiet power thing out! Vid of stock 718 S banging out nearly 100 DB and getting meatballed. https://youtu.be/rfY1yKmRcmg ...just as loud as my race car with my loudest setup? Why is Porsche making new cars so loud? I can hear stock GT3s at Marina out on main road! ....And don't get me started on all squealing tires of street cars! .... that sound travels further than many exhausts

My sport muffler is quieter than most stock cars and makes more hp. Measured 86 DB at 50 ft last Scca event! People tease me my car is so quiet it sounds like a stock car. I can run Laguna no worries .

I just wanted a race muffler that could use for T hill, hillclimbs and National events. Its louder than advertised was supposed to be 95 DB and I figured I could drop it to under 92 wth set of lightweight shorty cans with turn downs. So will see. I think with turndowns alone it will pass in Lincoln . But I will have nuclear option with me next event. I can change mufflers in 5 minutes.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby Chris Hamilton » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 pm

I just watched that video and man that car is LOUD for being stock. Driving around the pits it sounds like it has an almost open exhaust.
Chris Hamilton

Postby krote6 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:10 am

It is the internet so you can't totally believe it is stock..
krote6

Postby grant » Fri May 12, 2017 3:46 am

krote6 wrote:It is the internet so you can't totally believe it is stock..

Believe me I have driven one. They are very loud. There have been couple people complaining about having to short shift 718s to beat sound on Laguna . My 981 S is like a quiet luxury car in comparison. Intake noise at WOT is awful too.
2010 Cayman S - Elsa
2015 Boxster S - Pearl
grant

Postby Chris Hamilton » Fri May 12, 2017 8:27 pm

I'm not sure if they're stock but there are a few abarth fiats in my neighborhood that are obnoxiously loud. I'm not sure if they're doing it to try to get rid of turbo lag or it's just a good way to sell cars now?

Really makes me appreciate how much work VW did on the GTI to keep it quiet and still make pretty good horsepower.

Does that 718 have a muffler button they could leave in normal to quiet it down?
Chris Hamilton

PreviousNext

Return to Paddock area